Letter from Rabbi Ross
Dear TBS Friends and Family,
On Monday, my wife Rachel and my son Gabriel and I joined the new group Pride in Hudson as we marched in the Hudson Memorial Day Parade. On Wednesday, I was blessed to be at the conversion of two new Jews: Sarah Suntheimer and Eli Melone! We will formally welcome to our community on Friday night.
We have a unique, special opportunity to celebrate our LGBTQ friends and family this Friday night. We are expecting a large group, and we would love to see as many TBS members as possible for this gathering! Please make a special effort to join us this Friday night!
PRIDE SHABBAT – Fri. 6/3, 7:30 pm
On Friday, 6/3, the Judaism 101 class will hold a final gathering and Shabbat dinner together at 6pm. At 7:30, they will join the TBS community for our first Pride Shabbat! We will celebrate our LGBTQ folks with special readings and a special ceremony to welcome two new students who completed their conversion process. Please join us for this unique evening!
SHAVUOT – A Night of Learning – Sat. 6/4
TBS will join the wider Jewish community for a special night of learning, as we celebrate the holiday of Shavuot together for the first time in two years!
This night of learning is called a Tikkun Leil Shavuot, and the entire community is invited. TBS has been co-sponsoring these for 4 years. Rabbi Michael will teach in the opening hour at 7pm about the book of Ruth and welcoming the stranger. Details about the sessions can be found in the flyer.
Please find ways to support folks in Ukraine this week:
- Rabbi Rachel and I donated to the JDC. I directed a few more TBS donors to send their tzedakah funds there: https://www.jdc.org/
- HIAS is collecting to support the refugees: https://www.hias.org/
- Cleveland Federation is collecting for Ukraine here: https://www.jewishcleveland.org/
- World Union for Progressive Judaism is helping at this link: https://wupj.org/give/ukraine/
Please find ways to research about the Jews in Ukraine as well. The history is fascinating. It’s worth noting how TBS assisted the Jews fleeing the former Soviet Union 30 years ago. Our assistance and support will be needed again. I do believe we will be asked to welcome Ukrainian refugees in the coming weeks and months.
UPCOMING TBS GATHERINGS
- Fri. 6/3, 7:30 pm – Pride Shabbat – zoom and in-person
- Sat. 6/4, 7 pm – 7 am – Community Shavuot Night of Learning – in-person at Bnai Jeshurun in Pepper Pike
- Sat. 6/11, 9:30 am: Prophets’ Class – Jeremiah – zoom and in-person
- SAVE THE DATE: Fri. 6/17, 7 pm: TBS Annual Meeting & Shabbat Service – zoom and in-person
- Sat. 6/25, 9:30 am: Prophets’ Class –