Letter from Rabbi Ross
Dear TBS Friends and Family,
This Friday is Israel Shabbat! Roei Mizrachi, the Israel Fellow at Kent State’s Hillel, will be our guest. Our text study will be on Israel’s Declaration of Independence. After our special service, Roei will join us for a special oneg and will discuss current events in Israel.
You don’t want to miss this special Shabbat!
All are welcome!
FROM THE BOARDROOM
It is with mixed emotions that we share with you that Rabbi Rachel Brown has been named the new Rabbi at Beth Israel-The West Temple in Lakewood, a center for the Reform community on the Cleveland’s West Side. Their Rabbi announced her retirement after a 40-year relationship with Beth Israel, and Rabbi Brown was chosen to succeed her effective this fall. We are thrilled that Rabbi Rachel has been given this wonderful opportunity, but we are also very sad that she is leaving her post as Education Director at TBS. She won the love and respect of all our students and parents and we all will miss her passion and creative spirit. The Beth Israel congregation is very fortunate to share in Rabbi Brown’s special gifts.
A Task Force of TBS members has begun working with the Jewish Education Center (JEC) to assist us in selecting a new Education Director for our school in time for fall classes. If you would like to contribute to the task force, or have questions, concerns or recommendations as we make this change in our school program, please contact James email@example.com or Laurie firstname.lastname@example.org.
Celebration of Israel’s 75th Birthday
ISRAEL at 75 – Yom Hatzma’ut Celebrations in the area
Here are a few community celebrations in the coming weeks:
– Fri. 5/5, TBS will have a special Israel Shabbat, with guest speakers from Israel joining us!
– Sun. 5/7, Jewish Akron is hosting Matiyahu in Concert! Rami Feinstein will open the show!
– Sun. 5/14, 2-5 pm: Don’t miss the IsraelFest! Yom Ha’atzmaut Celebration
Safran Park, Mandel Jewish Community Center, 26001 S. Woodland Road, Beachwood
SHAVUOT IS COMING!
We have two special Shavuot events coming at the end of May. First, on Thursday evening, 5/25, the first night of Shavuot, TBS is co-sponsoring the night of learning, called a Tikkun at B’nai Jeshurun. I will be teaching about “Revelation in Exodus.” Registration is required!
- Tikkun Registration link: https://cutt.ly/registration-tikkun2023
- The 2023 Tikkun flier can also be found here: https://cutt.ly/tikkun-shavuot-flier2023
Then, on Friday, 5/26, 7:30 pm, TBS will celebrate Shavuot, and formally welcome Julie Lakas into our community. Amazing dairy treats will be served both nights!
URJ Teen Israel Organizing Fellowship
The URJ Teen Israel Organizing Fellowship is an immersive fellowship for high school students (ages 14-18) to deepen their learning about the society and culture of Israel and learn how to organize within their communities. By participating in the program, URJ Teen Israel Organizing Fellows can receive a $15,000 scholarship to help offset the cost of tuition at Heller High! Click here to learn more.
Sun. 5/7, 9:00 am at TBS. We meet throughout the year in the spirit of friendship and good humor. We sponsor social events, fundraisers and building beautification projects to support and enhance the TBS community. Contact Eric Draper at email@example.com
TBSSisterhood Shabbat Service
Oneg Help Request!
We still have one Oneg opening this year; 5/19. Please consider taking this Oneg, perhaps with a friend? A detailed how-to Oneg guide will be provided. Please RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
UPCOMING TBS GATHERINGS
- Fri. 5/5, Israel Shabbat – 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm, with guests from Israel – in-person and on zoom
- Sun. 5/7, Brotherhood Meeting – 9:00 am at TBS
- Sat. 5/13, Prayer Lab: Torah Service liturgy – 9:30 am – 11:30 am – in-person and on zoom
- Thu. 5/25, Leil Tikkun Shavuot – 7:00 pm – 5:00 am – B’nai Jeshurun, Pepper Pike
- Fri. 5/26, Shavuot Shabbat – 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm – in-person and on zoom